Practical OpenHPC: Cluster Management, HPC Applications, Containers and Cloud
TimeMonday, July 291:30pm - 5pm
DescriptionSince its inception as a Linux Foundation project in 2015, OpenHPC (https:///openhpc.community) has steadily grown to provide a modern, consistent, reference collection of HPC cluster provisioning tools, together with a curated repository of common cluster management software, I/O clients, advanced computational science libraries and software development tools, container-based execution facilities, and application performance profiling tools.
Although OpenHPC enables people deploying new HPC clusters to rapidly get their clusters up and running, the OpenHPC software repository itself is a reliable, portable, integrated collection of software, libraries, tools and user environment that can be employed in containers, VMs and HPC clusters to develop and execute computational science applications.
This half-day tutorial will begin with a brief, advanced introduction to OpenHPC. We will then guide attendees through several practical, hands-on exercise modules employing an OpenHPC-based cluster and the OpenHPC software repository to explore real-world activities including:
- HPC cluster management and job schedulers
- Using containers to build and prototype HPC applications with OpenHPC
- Running container-based applications on HPC clusters
- Using Easybuild and Spack to streamline application builds
- Instrumenting applications for performance measurement
- Using Packer to build and use OpenHPC-ready VM images in the cloud